The School of Engineering and Architecture is composed of two parts. The historical part, known as Porta Saragozza Building, will host the technical events of the Conference. It is located in Viale del Risorgimento 2, a short street starting from Porta Saragozza, and can be reached from the recommended Hotels placed in the heart of the city center by a few-minutes’ walk. The complex contains lecture and conference rooms, laboratories, a library, areas for students, researchers and teachers.
The building is a prime example of twentieth-century architecture, designed by architect Giuseppe Vaccaro and inaugurated in 1935. With its ribbon windows and horizontal lines, thwarted by the sudden verticality of the tower, the Porta Saragozza Building was the first work of qualified modern architecture to adorn the city of Bologna. The red-brick tower houses a valuable collection of ancient tomes. The historical building has been complemented by a new part, in the seventies.